Friday, November 30, 2012

A distraction........Bavarian Crochet

I feel a lot like the dog off of the Disney movie UP. I get working on a project and someone yells "squirrel" (or in my case craft) and I totally lose track of what I was working on.  I started working on my Watermelon Pineapple Afghan and it was driving me crazy.  I don't know if it was doing the pattern for the third time or just my lack of interest.  Instead,  I have not one but two afghans, a infinity scarf, and a quilt lying in various stages of being finished.  Which, all have to be completed by the 25th.  I might be dreaming on getting them all complete.  Well, for my lasting disgust for the pineapples (which I usually love)  I picked up this book........



I had seen several examples on Bavarian crochet on blogs and I loved the results.  I needed to make an afghan for a fella, so I thought that I would give it a whirl.  So, this is Red, White, and Blue Bavarian style.....


And I finished it all up.  I love it.  A lot of repetition, but super simple. 



I will definitely be giving the patterns in this book a try, again.  It would be a great one to use all those scrap pieces of yarn.  Except towards the edge of the afghan, it was using almost of skein of yarn a row.  If you would like to give the stitch a try, you can try out the book which has several other patterns in it or watch this video. Catherine has a very good tutorial on how to do the Crochet Wheel Stitch or Bavarian Crochet.



Well, thank goodness I finished another Christmas present.  I will need a craft vacation, just so my fingers can recover from Christmas.




The lovely places I link....



Pin It Now!

16 comments:

  1. beautiful! I love Bavarian crochet but I've never been able to finish anything larger than a scarf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of Bavarian crochet. Your afghan is stunning.

    I don't do well with repetition either. I guess that's why so many of us have so many WIPs! (And why I'm not a factory worker).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this with everyone. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/washi-tape-idea-book-and-wednesdays.html
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty, I wish I had patience to do a project like this. My crochet projects have to be small. :) Thanks for sharing on "I Gotta Try That"
    Have a fantastic week!
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  5. very pretty and I bet so warm come see me at http:/shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the look of this. I have never tried it, but hink I may need to . Just not before Christmas. Thanks for sharing.
    Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love bavarian crochet. Thank You for this post!

    TracyAnn from www.crochethappy.com and http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful crocheting and what a neat pattern! Good luck, I hope you get everything done in time for Christmas! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have never heard of Bavarian crochet before, but this looks so good I might have to check it out! (Maybe not until the New Year though!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks fabulous, I am still pretty new to crochet, but who knows, one day i might be skilled enough to try this! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is gorgeous, Amy! Hard to imagine that it's simple, but I'll take your word for it. I've never done Bavarian crochet before and will just have to try this! Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete