Monday, July 16, 2012

Lego Head Shirts

You can find many cute appliqued t-shirts on Pinterest.  I had found a couple of them that had Disney's  Mickey ears on them.  Jenna at Two oh Two seven, had a couple of great ones that I had found.  I thought you could do it with some other characters. 




If you have kids or grand kids, Lego's are everywhere.  My kiddos love Legos.  They can not get enough of them.  Plus they are so much cooler than what we grew up with.  I thought how fun it would be for the kids to make their own Lego head shirts.  I thought I would share how to make these fun shirts.  They would be a great activity for kids to do at a birthday party or a fun summer activity.  It is the first time I have appliqued onto a shirt before.  It was really EASY!!


For supplies you will need:

A t-shirt
Fabric Paint
A Fat Quarter of material
THERM O WEB-Heat 'n Bond Ultra Hold Iron-On Adhesive - this brand leaves a nice crisp edge
Sewing Machine and matching thread (optional)

I started with new shirts that I purchased at the local craft store for $2.00 a piece.  I washed them and the yellow fabric I was planning to use for the head.  I drew the Lego head shirt on a piece of graph paper.


Here is the pattern for the head.  I then traced the pattern on a sheet of paper, so that I could see the shape of the head perfectly.  After that was finished, I transferred the pattern on to the thermo web.  Trace it on the smooth side of the thermo web.



I then cut out the center of the head, so that the shirt would not be as stiff.  You can trim it even closer, but give at least a 1/2" to your line.



Then you can iron your thermo web to the WRONG side of you material.  Do not use steam and cover the thermo web with a light pressing cloth, so that none of the glue gets onto your iron.



Cut around your head shape with a pair of sharp scissors.
After you are finished, peel of the white backing of the thermo web. 
Center the head on to the shirt and iron it in place.


You can stop here, if you don't have a sewing machine.  If that is the case, do not dry your shirt on high heat in the dryer.  The design will peel off.  Cold wash, low dry!!

I took my sewing machine and zig-zagged around the head design.


Now, you are ready to design your head!!!
The kiddos picked out the face that they wanted on their shirt. 
We drew the face on with a pencil to prevent any oops.


Next is paint!



And here is the finished products!  Let it set for at least 4 hours and do not wash for 72 hours!  And turn inside out.










 They were so much fun to do.  We all had a blast and they are looking forward to wearing their Lego Shirts.




The lovely places I link to....
Boogieboard Cottage
BWS tips button
mop it up mondays
I Heart Nap Time






Pin It Now!

41 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! My boys are hooked on those little lego figures and keep taking them apart, so I've got disembodies heads and legs scattered through the house. They'd love these -- and I think I've got some shirts I bought for another project...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are ADORABLE!!! How fun! I have lego-maniacs in my house and I think they'd love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Myra! The kids all loved making these!
      ~Amy

      Delete
  3. Hi! Visiting from Salt Tree! These are too stinkin cute! And such a great tutorial. Ive been looking for one just like it. Thanks!

    If you get a chance I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party.. its open til tomorrow! http://www.thegrantlife.com/2012/07/financial-friday-fabulous-features_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! My grandsons would love this!! Thanks for linking up on the All Star Block Party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute idea. My nephew would love them! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I'm a new follower and would love if you followed back at www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this!!! I had to Pin it! My little guy loves Legos and this would perfect for him!!! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy! My kiddos loved working on them!
      ~Amy~

      Delete
  8. Hey there! I just found your cute blog via the hop and I'm your newest follower! I'd love to have you be my blog friend too and check out a fabulous giveaway I'm having right now!!

    Hope to see you there! Thanks so much!
    Emily

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/07/chi-bling-giveaway-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I've pinned it for use for my Lego-mad boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! We had a blast picking which face to add to their shirts! Hope you have as much fun! Thanks for stopping by!
      ~Amy

      Delete
  10. how fun. The kids will love this!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this idea! I've just got to share it on my fb page!!! http://www.facebook.com/CassCanSew
    Consider me your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWESOME!!! I rekon I know a husband who'd want to do that too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvette,
      My husband is thinking the same thing! Thanks for stopping by!
      ~Amy

      Delete
  13. Soo cute! love this idea! oneday when i have kids i will have to do this....or maybe just for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley Lynne,
      I will definetely make one for myself. They were sooo fun!
      ~Amy

      Delete
  14. Those are really cute. My son's friend loves Ninjago and I've been trying to figure out how to make him a Ninjago tshirt for his birthday. I think this will work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura,
      I don't know very many boys who don't like Legos. Glad I could help and thanks for stopping by!
      ~Amy~

      Delete
  15. What a cute idea! My girls would love these shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha! These are SO cute!

    Thanks for sharing on The All Star Block Party!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The shirts look great! Our boys would love them (by boys I mean two sons and husband). I would love to invite you to share this on Saturday Show and Tell. My readers would love this and some of the other posts on your blog. Come join us at http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-20 Thanks and have a great weekend.
    -Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are absolutely adorable! I have to admit that sometimes I buy a Lego set just for the minifigures. What a fun DIY project. I'll bet my kids would love it. Great finish! Thanks for linking up!

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute! I love the one with the beard. They turned out really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are soooo cute!! We're headed to Legoland on Friday and may have to make one for my son to wear!! Featuring this at tomorrow night's party! So happy you linked up with us!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  21. we love legos at our house!!! I love these shirts, my boys are totally getting some next lego party we have! Thanks for linking up, I'm featuring them on Topsy Turvy Tuesdays today!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE these! My son wants a Lego Party for his birthday next month...I'm totally pinning this! He'll definitely want a shirt like those. Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for linking this up to our Crafty Showcase. Your post was picked as a favorite by our Bowdabra Designers. Stop on over to see your feature. We will give you a shout out on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest today!

    Stop on over tomorrow and link up more of your awesome creations! Remember- the showcase runs Sat-Thur and then we pick the most clicked and our favorites and feature on Friday!

    have a super weekend,

    Susie @Bowdabra
    http://bowdabrablog.com/2012/07/27/feature-friday-bowdabra-top-crafty-showcase-picks-7/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/07/show-your-stuff-34.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my, Amy! these turned out so cute! We are featuring it today. thanks for sharing this awesome project!

    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such an original design.Stopping by to say Hi from the blog hop. Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com new follower

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are so great! My 30 some year old uncle still asks for lego sets for Christmas.. He'd LOVE one of these :)

    New GFC follower too :) Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete